Wednesday 28 January 2009

The hilarity of obscenity

Footprints. I don't know whether you've ever seen some fresh cement, and had the urge to walk across, concreting your green flash in geological history.

Well guess what? We've recently had our pathway resurfaced as part of an external works programme carried out by our social landlord. They did it in the afternoon. That fateful night (monday actually!) whilst I was away, some local young people etched an obscenity in the freshly poured cement.

"W***ers" it read, or so I have been told, hastily fixed by giggling builders the following day.

I had to join them (the builders that is, not the young people) in this sentiment. The lads who did it even signed their names. Hats off to you Sam and JJ.

I wanted to use this space to publicly thank the couple of charming young men who had the decency to write such obscenities in my pathway. A few 'pointers' for you boys:

1. Footprints would have done.

2. I've been feeling a little demotivated recently, and this actually made me laugh rather loudly to myself as I walked to the bus stop this morning! You encouraged me to lighten up a bit, so thanks!

It's funny how in our concrete jungle, we've replaced stealing apples from old couple's gardens, with an urban equivalent: tagging and grafitti.

In all seriousness though, sometimes the best way to deal with such things is to laugh, and then hastily reach for the trowel... before the neighbours take offence. I'm sure they worked at floors to go.

No comments: